So the final push begins! So far this week has progressed like I expected it to – based on all of our past pop-up shows – with only a handful of people doing the work for everyone else. I still find it astonishing how most people are still finishing their show work in the final days before the assessment – so they are in the workshops all day instead of helping with the show build. This unfortunately means everything ends up left until the very last minute and then is rushed. There has not been enough emphasis or care by many of my fellow students on the fact this is a group show. We are assessed on this exhibition as a group, and the show itself could act as a lever for our future career: it is sad and unfair that we will all suffer if our show isn’t put together well.
No amount of careful planning or organisation on my part can help if people don’t respond to e-mail calls for help, or simply vanish from college on the days of the build. I spent all day Tuesday helping to sand the walls (left in a really terrible state by the BA students) and brush the floor clean. My own work needs very little installation, so this was all group effort rather than self-interest. I did get some very much appreciated help from one of the BA lecturers though, who brought me in a mini tension wire perfect for the spot in the ceiling my work will hang from. (Look closely!)
I left the work today to those making furniture for the space (shelves, plinths and so on). I will go in tomorrow to see the state of play and hopefully, by the end of the day, get my piece installed and ready for assessment.
I don’t want to put it up too early if it is going to be damaged by everyone still moving big bits of wood about.
15 days until the show
As the only management consultant in my year group, it has not been a surprise that I have ended up being in charge of planning & organising everyone into doing things for the final show. I don’t mind so much, it at least put me at ease that things will get done this way. Everyone has so far been very receptive at doing things allocated to them, but it does feel like herding the proverbial cats at times.
Our first main task has been to start discussing and agreeing on the show space itself – who will go where, and in what format etc. Last year’s graduating bunch ended up having shouting matches and rude exchanges in disagreements over space, so I wanted to make sure we had a open, democratic process and no fights.
Poi made us a lovely 1:20 scale model of the space which we all added our own mini models in. A first attempt at a curation perhaps. There will still be more tweaking needed no doubt. We need the work to talk to each other appropriately, and not be boring to look at. I’m still not entirely certain how I will get my hanging to work, but that, and the question over the floor is all that is really left to decide now.
Some photos of the draft layout:
Look what came in the post came today….
And after a little bit of sorting, this is what we have! Thanks a million to Mrs T Wilson to donating such a wonderful quantity of maps, and thanks a million to my lovely mum to for making surprisingly good use of Facebook in finding donors and then carting the whole lot over to the post office at top speed for me!!
The plan is now to finalise exactly how many strings I want / have time for in the installation and make to the final number over next week. I don’t want to keep making right up until the end – firstly it will be too stressful and second, the pages in my poem book will need to be carefully counted so I can’t add threads at the last minute. There are enough ‘local’ maps of my places in the new box that I shouldn’t now need to source any more.
18 days until show build
34 days until the show opens