After a couple of days of weaving the ideas I had got into calligraphy drawings directly into corn, I have now completed a finished test piece! This is the first piece so far that has been properly made with my project concept embedded into both the material and the form. The basket I did for the interim show was communicative materially (even if using maps was a literal interpretation of place), however I made a ‘basket’ shape (a bowl in other words) for lack of any other ideas.
I have to say I am very pleased with how this has come out – I am happy with that it has come out the way I intended. I didn’t pre-plan the exact structure, only the principles I wanted to express in the form, letting serendipity and the nature of the straws guide the way the weaving progressed. I think it may be nice hung in mid-air, but lacking the facilities to do that in my home studio, this is the piece on the wall.